I'm off the wagon for about 5 days. A small pit stop. AND I LOVE IT!! Not goin crazy. Just a little pizza and doritos. Comfort food and part of a small experiment with myself. I'll tell you how it turns out.
Ok. I have to talk about something that's been bugging me. I hear so many people crabbing about how busy they are or how tired they are or how much people don't respect them or understand that they work a lot or are too busy with stuff...yadda yadda yadda. I cannot BELIEVE the amount of people lately I have come in contact with who have been like this.
People. YOU CONTROL YOUR BUSINESS. If you don't like it - STOP. If you can't afford only one job and two or three stresses you out, start pounding the pavement for one that pays more. If your job stresses you out or you feel overworked cuz your boss is a jerk, FOR GODS SAKE get a new one or at least LOOK for a new one - look and believe.
Frankly, no one likes being friends with, being in a relationship with or just even being AROUND someone who is so negative all the time and over worked. Believe me - I've had friends who have been very over worked, very stressed, and very negative -and I've been there myself. It's hard to be friends with some one like that and even harder to be in a relationship with someone who is so negative or stressed out by the thing that takes up most of their time in life: their job. The thing that turns me off most (among a few other personality traits I won't get into) about men is when they bitch about their job or their boss/coworkers. Seriously, men who feel the "man is keeping them down" and their job is a joke or men who allow their jobs to suck the life out of them are about as uninteresting to me as men who like showtunes and call their pets their kids. I've no time for that dumbassery. And seriously again, a guy who loves his job and does it well along with knowing how to enjoy life when not at work -and balancing that well- is an incredible turn on. (side note: Within 20 mns of meeting a guy, I ask what they do for a living. I can tell in that 20 mns if I want to get to know them better. The track record hasn't been good.)
A job should be something you love to do - something that is an extension of YOU, unique to you because of the unique talents YOU have that you get to use. If you don't do something you love in a place you love, you spend at least 40 hours of 168 hours of your life a week doing something you hate or that sucks you dry. That's like 1/4 of your LIFE and 1/3 of your life if you take out 6 hours of sleep each night. If you have another job, like maybe say 10 hours per week beyond your usual 40, that's even MORE of your life you're giving away to negativity. To do what? Earn money? How happy are you now that you have that money? Are you even satisfied that it's ENOUGH money? Or is that another contention that the man is keeping you down by keeping your wages low? ugh. If that's your extension of YOU, I don't like YOU.
Now, that being said, I know it is SO easy to get into that trap of a job that sucks the life out of you. I lived it for a few years myself. I got out and improved my situation. It was hard, it was scary, and it was a HUGE risk. It worked out.
But for the health of you, the health of your loved ones, and by god if you have kids - the health of your kids, either decide to suck it up and look for the positives in your job. OR STOP KILLING yourself and your relationships with it and get out.
If you work to live and not live to work then you are letting your work rule you. Let me explain. I live to work. My career is an extension of myself and what I do is very important to me. If I won a trillion dollars I would still do work in the career field I am in. I might do more of a consultative role, but I would still be living to work because that's what I'm interested in, how I contribute to society, and how I characterize myself. I work within my personal values and my passion. I do not work all of the time. I take time off. I do not work on weekends - I don't take work home with me unless I WANT TO. I leave work at work and home at home. I can do that because work is an extension of myself and home is an extension of myself. I am self-aware and multi-faceted.
NOW - if I work to live, meaning my job is just something I do to make money so I can live and have neat stuff and it's a pain in my ass where I just care to clock in/clock out, I'm a slave to that job that I hate.
Working to live means that I can't live unless I have a job that is meaningless and just something to pay the bills. Why in the world would you spend 1/4 to 1/3 of your life doing something that "just pays the bills" if you can be spending even 1/4 more of your life doing something you like - that you find rewarding, joyful, and energizing????? Granted, I have big and HUGE challenges with my job and I don't love everything about it - some things are very tough, hard, and incredibly annoying. But the rewards, the joy, and the energy I get from my career more than cancel out that yucky stuff.
What I'm trying to say is: if you hate your job, quit bitching about it and DO something about it. I'm done talking about things I "am going to do" and I'm done hearing others talk about what they are gonna do. Do it or I'm not giving you my attention anymore. I do not need people in my life who talk and talk and talk but don't execute anything or DO anything about what they talk about. There's no integrity in that. I value integrity and I value action. I value positivity and a "what if" mindset. I also value living to work.
So....That's my controversial post of the day. If I offended anyone: sorry, not sorry.
Enjoy your day!
No comments:
Post a Comment