Thursday, May 22, 2014

Fargo Weather & Ham

I just ate the most amazing thing -and it's not that exciting! LOL! Asparagus & diced ham sauteed in grapeseed oil with a little spinach thrown in almost when all was done is DELICIOUS! I also put salt (of course), pepper, and a little onion powder on it as it cooked. I cooked it pretty hot- it was a fast prep and faster cooking time because I kept it on med-hi and got a nice crust on some of the ham chunks. It was the most delicious thing I have eaten in weeks I think. It was like a treat- or a sinful indulgence.

I had been craving pizza the past few days and wanted something totally savory, greasy, and with a LOT of flavor. This asparagus/ham/spinach concoction hit the spot -sans greasy, but it didn't matter. I freaken LOVE ham once in a while- but I don't eat it a lot because it is a lower source of protein compared by volume. It was a flavor explosion with ONLY 17 grams of fat and 400 total calories. That's 8 whole ounces of diced ham, 2 cups of asparagus, and 1/2 a cup of spinach-it was like 4 cups of food!!! It only netted 45 grams of protein but I can make most of that up with the IP stuff. I've only had one IP food today because I was super busy (almost didn't get time to eat the red bell pepper slices and raw cauliflower I brought for lunch!!) & never got around to eating much. I try to get about 110-130 grams of protein a day and I also try to keep my carbohydrate grams below 50. I hardly ever do that low of a carbohydrate total -its usually 5-10 grams over that depending on the type of vegetables I eat but it's still a goal of mine. So far today I've only eaten 60 grams of protein so I have to bump that up at least to 30 more by the end of the day, which is totally doable with the two IP foods I need to eat yet. I need to drink a crap-ton of water tonight though because of all the salt in the ham & the more that I put on the meal. I'm already retaining water so that'll be fun.

I'm back on track with ketosis. I am not hungry like I was Monday and Tuesday and my headache is gone. I can't wait to continue and see what yummy stuff I can make for supper tomorrow!! I love it when I have nothing to do in the evening but make dinner & ding around. Sometimes I'm VERY tired and don't want to cook. However, I've gotten into the habit of doing more in the evenings around the house. Remember, that was an early goal of mine? I'm still doing that -even the day I went to bed at 7:30pm (Tuesday) because I was SOOOOO tired. Which reminds me - I bought some english cucumbers for cheap last night and need to chop them up to eat soon. I think they were such a good price because they are almost past their prime. :)

So it was CRAZY Warm today! Ok, JUST 80 degrees (actually officially I think it only got up to 77), but this is warmer than it's been in 8-10 months!!! It's so wonderful that the sun sets AFTER 9pm now and it is finally "Wow I really need a pedicure" weather! :) Let me tell you, I LOVE living here. My family is nearby as are most of my very good friends, there is a ton of stuff (shopping, eating, entertainment) around here, and I have a job I absolutely love, so it's perfect...except for the weather 6 months out of the year. I've never been one to go on a cruise or go to Mexico in the winter, but oh yes I want to now. In early April I was talking to some family members about that who take annual trips somewhere in Mexico and in February I talked with some coworkers who do the same. They convinced me it's the best idea of all time. I'm sold. It's damned cold here December through March. I need a warm sunny beach to get through the winters here. Everyone does.

No comments: