Sunday, May 4, 2014

Another Journey Begins...

Hello! Today I accomplished a lot - laundry, a little cleaning, some essential shopping, reading a bit, and a new-but old- way of eating. I was going to go to my niece's "re-baptism" (she was baptized as a baby, but in her church, when kids are older they are baptized "for real"), but I had just heard about it last night because my brother forgot to text me about it. He felt really really bad - but I had so much stuff to take care of today that I decided to skip it. I'll see her next Saturday at her dance recital and that will be alright.

Yesterday was my brother's annual "Y-Not" party. It's basically just a big get together of all of his friends, his neighbors, his family and his family's friends. To my mind it got a bit wild - there was a HUGE bonfire (he lives in town!) and some very intoxicated people passing out or nearly passing out. I am just too old for that scene. I had about three drinks and decided that's enough- I wanted my wits about me because drunk people do drunk things. So I hung out in the house a lot after the night got late and even stranger people showed up. It was ok...but this year it just wasn't my scene I guess.

So my title brings me to my blogging point tonight. I've been eating horribly the past few months. Well, actually since October I guess. So for 6 months I've been pigging out and slothing around. I am now carrying around the equivalency of 3 big chunky newborns. 1 & 1/2 are around my midsection, one is spread among my thighs, butt, & hips and the other 1/2 is on my upper arms & face/neck. Yeah, I gained 30 pounds this winter! Yikes!!! And mostly, I feel icky and gross. SO, I did some research, some soul searching and decided to try to go back onto the Ideal Protein diet. It works well for me. It's not a diet that goes on forever and it is healthy. It also really works for my body type and my metabolism. Basically, it's a low carb/low fat diet that consists of four phases. Phase one is the weight loss phase and consists of 3 protein supplements a day with 8 oz real (lean) protein, a shit ton of low carb veggies (at least 4 cups per day), and all the lettuce I can possibly eat (like a bag a day!). The basis is mostly just NO sugar unless it's naturally in a vegetable and you wean your body BACK into eating "regularly" through 3 more phases. Honestly, this diet is SOOOO freaken food-dense that it's difficult to eat all the food you need to in order to get in your calories and nutrients a day. It ranges around 800-1200 calories per day, depending on what kind of protein I cook/eat and which supplements I eat. Their food is REALLY good...at least I think so. Not all of it is, but I only eat certain ones in my routine. In all, it's kind of expensive- about average of $100 a week plus grocery bill (veggies & meat). But it's worth it and frankly, I spend that much and more some weeks on take out or going out to eat.

That got me to thinking today. So many folks balk at diets like this for one reason or another. One is that the food supplements taste icky. I think we must remember: We eat to live. Not the other way around. Yes, food should not be gross, but one should look at it as a nutrient for your body- a necessary energy source that you need to live. Once I remembered that, it was an easy decision. I love good tasting food. My heavier frame right now reflects that. But I like feeling good and having good energy more. So if you are struggling with a thought like "but dieting just doesn't TASTE good!!" -you might want to evaluate what you're eating and why. Ideal Protein works. It's based upon glycemic indexes & how your body responds to insulin production, how your pancreas works, and your liver function. The protein in the products is the "good" kind - the rich in amino acids kind (I can't remember all the scientific terms) that is easily digested and used completely by one's body processes. Again, it works. Basically, you're putting your body into ketosis, which helps your body burn fat first BEFORE muscle. The more muscle you retain/gain, the better your metabolism. The better your metabolism, the better all around your body is. AND, you are not doing this forever...kind of just training your body to chemically use food more efficiently.

So I researched a bit and found a new IP coach. I did this diet a few years ago and dropped close to 80 pounds, but that place discontinued carrying the program cuz they could not keep up with it. I was referred to another place, but I never liked the people there. The first time I met with the coach, he pushed a thyroid supplement on me and really never listened to me at all. He was mostly a "what's your problem, suck it up" type of coach and just a pain in my ass. He spent more time complaining about school lunches and the fact that grocery stores have awful food than he did asking me how I was doing. So I found a new coach. I met with her last week and she's a sweet older woman who did IP herself and lost almost 90 pounds a while ago and has kept it off. She knows what I'm going through (the other dude lost a whopping 20lbs. Boo) and she actually COACHES me. She texted me today asking how it was going since this was my very first day back on the wagon. I appreciate that so much. I'm excited to do well for myself and I've been fumbling in the dark for quite a while now.

I guess that might be why I decided to agree to rent a townhouse with my little sister. I don't do well by myself - and this apartment I'm in is very nice, but it's very isolating and very easy to bunker in and hibernate. I need to be around people more and I need to also save some $$ for a house one of these days. I am independent and LOVE alone time, but the downside of that is that I go a bit too far. So, I get a rent cut and someone around to make me be not such a hermit in a location that is more like a house than a hidden away apartment. It's too easy to find excuses to not eat well and to not get any exercise living here. My job isn't as crazy as it used to be and I have the time and the need to develop healthier habits. Also, I have some hobbies I want to spend more time with and it's difficult creating stained glass pieces in an apartment!!

So today was the day I get back to taking care of myself better. I have a lot of fun stuff coming up and I want to feel good about myself so I can fully enjoy the fun!!

No comments: