Friday, December 19, 2008

What's your favorite hotdish? Mine is funeral hotdish.

I spent last night and today in Perham with my family on my mom's side for the wake and funeral for my uncle Paul. It was sad, but it was very, very nice to see relatives I haven't seen in a while. I saw my cousin Doug and met his two kids. His littlest (6mo) is a sweetie and I almost had to give my necklace away because she loved it so much! I was so glad to see him again. I've missed him and his family at Rotta Christmases every year. My uncle Tom who lives in Arizona was there as well. He's always been a neat person and I'm looking forward to his next visit in the spring. My cousin Steve, who I haven't seen in literally 20 years even flew up from Missouri. His mom, my aunt Margaret passed away a couple years ago. I was so very glad to see him again and reconnect. I'll see all but the people I mentioned next week for Christmas and will also see and spend time with my sister Anna, my brother Andy, his wife Amy, and their two kids Skyler and Drake. They were missed today.

I don't know about your community, but in Perham at St. Henry's Church, they serve a meal (main entree of hotdish) to the family and others attending funerals. It's always the same kind of hotdish: macaroni noodles, ground beef, and a tomato based sauce. It is lovingly referred to as "Funeral Hotdish", for obvious reasons. It's good -and remarkably comforting.

It looks like we will be getting another snow storm tomorrow. Wow. Two weekends in a row, huh? Oh well, it is winter, after all.

After visiting with family at Grandma's, me, Amelia, and Audrey went to a new thrift store in Perham in search of ugly sweaters -christmas ones, to be exact. I found one that wasn't too ugly...just very kitsch. Amelia found a couple sweaters and they are horrendous. Audrey found the best one ever though. You'll have to check back later to see pictures from Christmas.

No comments: