So I was watching "Brothers & Sisters" tonight (the best show ever...on Sunday anyway), and of course, watching it about 20mn delayed so I could flip through the commercials and I happened to see that the news was going to be doing a piece on an old friend of mine who had been paralyzed for some time. Well, I hopped onto the internet after I got done watching my favorite Sunday night show to watch the newscast and lo and behold, my friend Lois is able to walk!! About 8 years ago, while living and studying in Canada, she went to the hospital very ill. The doctors feared meningitis, so they gave her a spinal tap to confirm. Needless to say, during the procedure, some nerves were nicked and she was instantly paralyzed from the waist down. For 8 years she's been diligently going to therapy, visiting every doctor/specialist/naturalist/whoever she could find to help her regain mobility. I saw her last about 2-3 years ago and she had recovered enough to use a walker for short periods of time, but was mostly just dragging herself along with her upper body. When this girl sets her mind to something, she usually accomplishes it, so as happy as I am to see she's found a treatment that has worked for her, I'm not that surprised. Her family has been so supportive and has stood by her through all of this and I'm just as happy for them as well.
So, with that happy news, I think I will go to bed. I never did my laundry today...but I did clear off a lot of programs in my DVR (Ghosthunters FREAKED me out) and I got my 2nd quarter planning done for my students as well as progress reports. Oh, and I made chicken fajitas as well. They were very tasty. I sauteed chicken breasts I had cut into strips in some olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, and "emeril's essence" (here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-essence-recipe/index.html -it's fantastic) and then added a package of "fajita vegetables" I got on "clearance" at Hornbachers the other day for 99cents. It was a 4 cup container of chopped white & red onion, green pepper and red pepper that had a "sell by" date of Oct 31st, so I snatched it up for their clearance price and it was still good to use today -normal price is $2.99!! I added some chopped basil from my lovely Aerogarden as well as some parsley. Oh yea, I added some dried cilantro as well. I wish I had an entire aerogarden for just cilantro. I love that stuff. I had some whole wheat flour tortillas, warmed them up, then put on a little monteray jack cheese, the fajita mixture, about 1 tbs of sour cream (light only, regular sourcream is gross to me), and green leaf lettuce. It was a good lunch AND supper!!!
On another herb note, I had been drying a bunch of mint because I wasn't using it in any cooking. Today I made tea!! I put some dried leaves into a single tea cup infuser and added some breakfast blend (my favorite Irish Breakfast tea from Twinnings) and it made an awesome cup of tea!! -a couple cups of tea, actually!
I guess that's all for today!
No comments:
Post a Comment