Tuesday, November 4, 2008

GO VOTE TODAY!!!!!!

Hooray, I voted!!! I stopped by my polling place on my way to work today. There were no lines (in fact, I was the 13th voter of the day!!) and it took me no more than 10 minutes. I think it took more time for the elderly ladies to stop talking to each other and get me signed in (I am pre-registered) /give me my ballot than it took to actually "vote". Fun times!!

Tonight I have my first training at JCP. It should be fun. Retail is a world that I haven't been in for some time. I think it will be a great experience, kind of like working at the EOT Fair each summer. It's completely different than what I do for a career, but so many things are the same. Customer service, for example, is very close to dealing with parents and co-workers. From an educational leadership point of view, working in retail strengthens one's capacity to work with different populations and helps one understand how to provide a good service to those different populations. I think sometimes we get too caught up in our own bubbles in education administration and forget that public education is a service and our "customers" (students, families, communities, sometimes staff) require us to have good customer service skills (i.e. good public relations skills). Not only that, but in my field of special education, I often teach job skills. I have a license in work based learning for students in special education. Retail experience for myself strengthens my ability to communicate job skills to my students and help me help them be successful in the world of work.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like I'm trying to justify my part time job!!! No need to, really. I am excited to start in the hair salon, because if anyone knows me, they know that I love hair stuff. I've been a hair product snob since I was in high school and have taken great pride in my hair most of the time. I also think it's fun! I completely believe that salon products are far better than "dime store" products (suave, herbal essence, dove, etc) and have spend thousands of dollars on salon products in the past. In fact, I'm in need of shampoo/conditioner and will also need some styling products soon....not to mention, I need another hair color and cut. My hair has grown out from my cut in August and I like it about now, but it does need a trim and some shaping. I've been very pleased with the dark brown I've been doing for a while now. It is MUCH closer to my actual hair color now, and when it grows out, you can barely tell. I am SOOO happy I decided to be finished with the lighter brown and the highlights!!!

Anyway, I could go on about hair forever! If you haven't voted yet today, GO VOTE.

No comments: