Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How To Be Lazy.

I did absolutely nothing today. Well, I kinda watched some stuff on the DVR, read a book, and surfed the internet news sites...but other than that...NOTHING. I took yesterday and today off as personal days because originally I was going to go to a workshop on RTI in the cities today and yesterday was my "recover" day from taking Audrey and her friend to the Buckcherry/Avenged Sevenfold/Shinedown/Saving Able concert on Sunday. All good intentions are doomed as soon as you make plans, you know.

SO, long story short, I ended up using my personal days for working at JCPenney @ 7:30am Monday (after not getting to Perham until 1:00am....meaning I got about 4 hours at the most of sleep), taking a nap, reading the newest JD Robb book (my absolute favorite series), getting a haircut, and doing NOTHING.

My intentions were: Interview personnel in three schools in my study, go to a workshop, and basically do study stuff. When THAT didn't seem like it was going to pan out (remember, I just got approval to actually START my study on Friday), my plans became: sleep in on Monday at my parents', get up whenever, maybe "visit" my car again at Norsemans in DL and chat with my brother Albert, spend time in the MSUM library reading and researching, and/or vacuum & clean and put up my Christmas tree. Then I got the job at JCP, so my personal days turned into getting trained in there and then I was soooooooo soooooooo tired and hence have wasted away my time off. Maybe I needed it though. I have been going nonstop for a little bit now, and probably will benefit from this downtime. I haven't been sick since last early spring (colds, etc),
and I attribute that to my vigilance in taking care of myself before I get run down (that used to be a BIG problem for me).

Anyway, about this concert I took Audrey and her friend Holly to. Let me just say, Buckcherry sucks. I never really liked their music anyway and their performance was dumb, playing on songs and "chatter" about poor decision-making situations of hormone ridden adolescents/young adults. Not impressed. Plus, the lead singer prances around the stage like a HUGE nerd and dances like a cross between a girl, extremely white kid from suburbia, and a (very) stereotypical gay teenager. If not for all his tattoos and offensive lyrics, you'd think he was in constant fear of getting beat up, given swirlys, and wedgies by the REST of the bands on the ticket including all the roadies. However, Avenged Sevenfold had an impressive performance. Their songs are a zillion minutes long, but they are very intelligent music-wise and lyric-wise. Very good musicians, very good performers, very cool. Their performance was clearly the BEST of all 4 bands. I was very impressed. Even if you hated their style of music, you had to admit they are spectacular. They had the best sound crew too -everyone else's sucked. Shinedown is one of my favorite bands of all time. I was humbled to see them in person and hear their stuff live. However, their sound tech dept SUCKED. That really detracted from the concert. But still, they are one of the awesomest bands ever, so I'll forgive them. :-) They did a number of songs from their 3 albums. If you haven't heard these guys, check them out. The lead singer has one of the best voices ever, their lyrics are not at all offensive, and their music is superb. Nice people too. Half the band came down to the sound/light board "corral" to watch the AS and BC performances and took tons of time talking to fans, signing autographs and taking pictures. My favorite spot at concerts with lots of young people and no floor seating is back by the sound & light boards cuz you can lean on the barricades and take it easy a bit -you also get to learn some "inside" info like the night's performance schedule. Each band stayed completely on schedule and Avenged Sevenfold even started 5 mn ahead of schedule, but played until about 4 mn after schedule. Saving Able was ok. The lead singer's got a good voice, and I think they have promise, but I just wasn't too into them -either bad or good. It was very sad to be at a concert without having a beer, but I was a good big sister and just drank loads of diet mountain dew and diet pepsi all night. I think Audrey had a good time. I was impressed with the choices both girls made throughout the day. They were never late when we decided to meet, they didn't defy anything I said (or roll their eyes), they even wanted to leave a bit early, before Buckcherry was even finished so we could get out of there more quickly and head home. Both were very polite and it was nice getting to know her friend a little bit more.

Anyway, I have a haircut at 5:30 today, so I'll have to get my butt off my chair for that soon. I believe I will try to devote this weekend to straightening my place out & putting up my tree. I will also have to finally contact the districts in my study and set up some time for that. I've only got 4 personal days left because I've completely burned these two (I am kinda angry inside about this...), so I'll have to be very careful with how I schedule the interviewing and get the biggest bang for my buck by hopefully scheduling the ones more than 2 hours away all in one day. I am ok doing email and phone followup interviews after that, but want face-to-face contact for the initial interview. *sigh* And so it begins.

No comments: