Sunday, December 13, 2009

Man....I Can't Keep Quiet About This One...

I have an opinion (SHOCK, HUH??). An opinion about the Duggar kid that was just born. I have no opinion on that kid nor the family specifically but this is my opinion: 19 kids is irresponsible. I'm surprised that woman's uterus hasn't prolapsed. Regardless, filling the world with people just because you can or because it's your religious beliefs is irresponsible to me. There are plenty of kids who need homes and need loving families. Making a small town of people is maniacal and irresponsible. If they have such strong values and live by such great morals and faith, then they should be using that to provide a home to kids who are already HERE on Earth and NEED it. Not making more people. PLUS....I also have issues with the publicity and tv time this family gets. I really feel caution about that -how many other people are going to get this into their heads and make lots of people without realizing the ramifications of having that many kids?

Yes, God will take care of them and provide for them. It's called charity, it's called welfare, and it's called you and me. I really don't have a problem with that in itself. I have a problem when people act irresponsibly in the name of God. I can't IMAGINE how a couple who cannot have children and who have been trying and praying for YEARS for a child feels when they see things like this. It's gluttony actually. Yes, she had two sets of twins, right?? well, that's only 4 kids....that means she had 15 others single-ly. WOW. Gluttony.

I hope that their 19th will be ok. Babies born that early have a very slim chance of NOT having some sort of disabling challenge later on in life. In fact, there are some in the special education (and medical) field who feel that the reason we've got such an increase of medically fragile kids, kids with strange diseases, and some even think spectrum disorders, is because of all the kids we are letting be born premature. I think that's ok- if a kid's got to be born premature, they have to be, no question. But it creates a trickle down effect and people need to start understanding that when special education funding issues come up...and then their school district has to use general ed funds after the sped ones have been used up to take care of these kids...and then their school asks for tax levies to cover that cost...it trickles, people.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. One person having 19 kids affects us all in some way. Please, though, don't get me wrong. I'm grateful these people/children are here on the Earth-perhaps one or more of them will make an important contribution in some way (I believe everyone has the potential and ability to contribute in an important way if they are willing). But to bring that many people into the world when there are thousands who need loving homes -or homes at all- is a sort of gluttony that makes me sad.

It's like what our parents told us when they told us to clean our plate: "children in China are starving". Well, I always thought, if they are starving, then why am I expected to eat all this? Why shouldn't I be allowed to NOT eat all this so that there is more to go around for those starving kids in China? That guilt trip backfired.

Sometimes I feel like I wish I could just be more conservative; like if I could just follow things blindly, be more simple, and not have the perspectives I do. It would make hearing about stuff like this easier...I could be more socially acceptable in my comments and beliefs and it would cause me less distress in my head and heart because I can't agree nor support that perspective in my life. I grew up feeling a lot of shame -for many different reasons and it trapped me as an adolescent/young adult. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I've come through that by being true to my own thoughts and standing up for what I think and believe. So I'll apologetically say, I think the Duggars are gluttons and they are irresponsibly contributing to population pollution and taxing our already heavily burdened resources -natural and man-made. There are SOOOO many kids who need to be cared for. Quit being selfish and making more people. Take care of the ones who are already here. Start seeing THEM and start caring about THEM.

And really...just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

1 comment:

Ben Meyer said...

I'm with you there! I really don't like how TLC and Discovery glorify these massive families like this.

I've watched the show once, and only about 20 minutes of it before I was disgusted. I dont know how many incomes they have, but even if both parents have 2 full time jobs, which I know they don't, there is no way they can fully provide for a family that large.

Their bills must be absolutely enormous, medical expenses, etc. They have to be getting some type of massive subsidy, grants, welfare, to provide the money they need.