Thursday, March 5, 2015

Yearly Physical Accomplishments

Yesterday I did not feel like posting. I went shopping to try on jeans and other clothes at the mall and nothing I wanted to wear fit. However, a size 12 dress DID fit but I did not like how I looked in it. It was a defeating day. So I bought myself a bottle of my favorite whiskey. And had a snort. It ended up to be a good night after all.

Today I had my yearly physical. I am down close to 40 lbs from last year's physical. Not only that, but my cholesterol is AMAZING. Full panel is 167. My "bad" cholesterol is 100 and my good is 49 (the good went down a bit). My triglycerides are down to 91. Last year my total was 220 and my bad was 160, with my triglycerides in the mid 100's. I attribute this lower cholesterol reading to not eating sugar and simple carbohydrates while greatly reducing all carbs. I have not really been exercising - not enough to have actually made a difference so I am contributing this to my diet. My blood sugar is 80, down from 87 last year. My thyroid is doing well and my vitamin/mineral levels are all within normal ranges. Last year I was B12 and folate deficient. This year everything is right in line. My pulse rate is also in the mid 60's. Typically when I am heavier my pulse races at over 80, near 100. Of course too, my blood pressure is right in the normal range with absolutely no concerns. That's something I've known since fall.

The one thing that has gotten worse are my red blood cells. I am a bit anemic because my red blood cells are enlarged, which lowers my red blood cell count. They are bigger this year than last year and last year they were noticeably larger. We're watching that but since my liver levels are all excellent and my vitamin levels are excellent, it's a mystery as to why. I'm not really affected -or, I don't notice anything really day to day. My white counts are normal, so there's no real threat of something like leukemia, but the large size of my red cells are an early pre-indicator of certain types of leukemia given other circumstances. My bone marrow isn't making my red blood cells correctly but nothing else is any where near "off", so it's just a watch & see thing each year. I can deal with that.

I also had my lead levels tested because of all the stained glass I've been doing this year. That is incredibly low, so there is absolutely no concern there. That's a relief because I've been putting off projects until I learn what my levels really are.

So health wise, I am doing very, very well. My doc prescribed some stuff for me to battle the acne I'm experiencing right now and although I am still on the levothyroxine for an underactive thyroid, that is being managed well at a low dose. I am finally in the "overweight" category of BMI. Also, apparently, I've lost mostly fat this past year and my muscle mass has maintained pretty well (lost only a small bit of that with the weight I've lost). My doctor's office has a fancy scale that divides up all that stuff in your body. It also predicts what I SHOULD weigh given my body fat/muscle mass ratio and it states a weight of 150 is optimal. That's pretty skinny for me, so I'm ok losing only 25 more pounds. 30 at the most. I weighed in at 188.1 today. That's how much I weighed in 2009 and 10 lbs more than I weighed in 2008.

Tonight I went out to dinner with a friend to celebrate that I'm not dying. I ate lots of carbs and even ate some dessert! It was a really good and tastey once in a blue moon meal. I'm good now for another month, I think. :) Losing 10 more pounds this month will be amazing and then 10 more in April would put me almost where I have wanted to be by the end of April. The end is in sight, people!!! :)



No comments: