Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Eyes of June...

I overdid it today on the food. Specifically, I ate three of those delicious Ambassador hot dogs. And an extra Ideal Protein food with a lot of calories & carbs. Carbs were still relatively low though. But the fat and calorie content of just my dinner meal was amazing, due to the hot dogs. But hell, they were DELICIOUS.

6 months ago I had LASIK surgery. I have been blind as a bat for all of my life -since 2nd grade. This winter the time was right and I took the chance to get my eyeballs "fixed". I definitely don't regret it and though it took A LONG time to get used to not having to wear glasses, I'm finding that it's just life now. However, my eyesight has been slipping. Since my 3 month checkup in March, my vision has gotten worse. Not astronomically worse, but bad enough that I notice and bad enough that my eye doctor is concerned.

What does that mean and why is this happening? Chances are, this is a natural thing that just happens. As my corneas settle into their new shape, small adjustments here and there happen that either sustain the eyesight, make it even better or make it worse. Mine is getting worse. Not bad - I do not "need" glasses, but they certainly would help to see things farther away. My astigmatism has increased and my acuity has gotten worse since March- those two things are related. I was warned when I got the LASIK that I would probably need touchups and that there would come a time that I WOULD without a doubt need glasses (a slight prescription) again. We did not anticipate this happening this soon, however. So I will have to go back to the LASIK place and go through some exams and eyeball evaluations. If worse comes to worst, I will just have to have glasses again when I drive and when I need to see farther away. It's not that big of a deal but although one can buy reading glasses that have a +1.0 to +2.5 prescription anywhere (even gas stations!), one cannot buy glasses with a -1.0 or -1.25 prescription anywhere but a glasses store. So, depending on the recommendations from the LASIK surgeons and eye specialists, I may have to buy glasses again. :(

That's sad...but what makes me more nervous is the possibility that this is NOT a technical issue with my eyesight but a progressive and organic issue. I have been eating hardly ANY carbohyrates in the past 5 weeks. My eyesight has gotten progressively worse in the last 2 months. Are these two things related??? They could be. I often feel as if I am hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). This will cause eye acuity issues. It could also have a vitamin deficiency. I'm already pretty deficient in some vitamins (D, B-12, Folic Acid) so I take supplements for them, but I may have to add extra biotin and thiamine (B-1). So my consternation is that my fantastic weight loss diet is causing my eyesight to decline. That is a tough nut to swallow.

But all in all, life is awesome. A Facebook friend posted this today and I wanted to share it with you all. You don't often think of Jim Carey as being full of wisdom and so serious, but it is awesome. So in your own journey for awesomeness, watch this and take to heart what he has to say. Live in the now & do what you love --for life will happen regardless...


No comments: