Sunday, August 16, 2009

Super Fun Happy Time

This weekend was a long one but a fun one. Just coming off of a long week away, I spent about 15 hours at home (about half of those sleeping)and packed my bags again to spend the weekend in Perham. We decided to surprise my mom and dad for their anniversary with all of us kids coming home for one weekend and then getting a complete family picture taken at the same time. Well, they sure were surprised! They knew Anna and Ben were coming up and that's what we used to keep them from making plans for the weekend -and Tony did some calling around to make sure Dad didn't do any stuff at the funeral home on the weekend either because the boys were planning on going golf -and it was a surprise that Andy would show up for it.

Well, the weather sucked out for golf for the boys, but that actually worked out very well cuz we just grilled some burgers and threw some stuff together for an early supper. Then mom and dad had planned on attending a class reunion thing that Saturday evening, so they went to that and us kids played Apples to Apples. I had some Jameson whiskey with my brother in law Ben and before we knew it, the full bottle was almost gone. That was a good time, but I think everyone else had more fun watching the two of us drunk fools. I should know better too because I've become somewhat of a light weight, especially when it comes to whiskey -and Ben's like twice the size of me practically, so going toe-to-toe with him was probably NOT a good idea! But good times were had all around by all.

Today, we went to church (it was HOT and stuffy...ick). And after church, we had our family pictures taken by a friend of Tony's. We didn't take a "funny" one...that was too bad, but it was too hot and stuffy and the kids were getting kinda squirrely, so we decided to wrap it up and go. Then we seemed to be sitting around at mom and dad's for a while, visiting, which was fine, while lunch was being cooked. Dad made Tony and Andy cut down a dead tree in the front yard because he had Grandpa make him (or maybe it was Grandpa's idea??) an eagle out of wood. Strange looking thing....if I can say so myself. He anchored it on the stump, facing the "southeast", which means that it's facing the flag he's got flying at the end of the driveway. So that's nice and patriotic I guess. How interesting that the neighbors had carved an eagle out of an entire tree stump with a chain saw a year or so ago and have that in their yard now...and now dad has this weird-ish looking one sitting on a tree stump in his yard. Funny.

I am glad to be home tonight and glad I have no where to really go for the next two weeks. Visiting is nice, but I'm a huge homebody, so being home is one of my favorite things -especially where I'm living now. The views are nice and even the air smells great. I took a nap this afternoon too -it ended up being a 3 hour one!! It was the best nap I've ever taken I think!!! When I woke up, there were no clouds and the sun was just starting to get low in the sky, so the shadows were getting longer and the sunlight coming through the trees and off the lake was golden, soft and warm.

So this week I kinda start working. It's more like "easing into" it. I hit the job hardcore next week. Then it's for real. I've got LOTS and LOTS of reviewing and prepping to do this week and this weekend. Busy, busy, busy.

No comments: