Friday, July 10, 2009

The Quiet, It Unnerves Me...

I moved my tv and my stereo to Grand Rapids already. When I got home tonight from visiting a friend, it was like I had been robbed: the apartment was all in disarray and there was a big empty spot where the tv, vcr, and dvd player used to be! Not to mention the bookshelf I had my stereo on was empty too. How sad! But I do still have my scanner! woo hoo!!!!

This week is the last week of "really" living here. I'm packing up EVERYTHING and moving it all on Saturday. Then it's cleaning time! Fun, fun. I think I have enough boxes for everything. I'm glad I'm not taking my entertainment center, my couch, and a couple other pieces of furniture I'm giving away. What a pain in the butt.

There are car races in Ada tonight. Usually the races are on Thursday nights but apparently, there is some kind of "6pack" or something???? I don't get it. That world is completely foreign to me...still, after living here 10 years. I'm always saying "what does that mean?" when people talk about the races and everything. I'm sure I drive them nuts...I ask SOOOO many questions!!! I can hear the racetrack from my apartment on the northeast side of town...the track is on the southwest side of town...so when the wind is just right, I hear the cars as if it were 2-3 blocks away. It's a sound that has either bothered me or has soothed me. Tonight it's soothing and a bit melancholy. I went to the demo derby this year for the fair and it was kinda lame I thought -but what do I know!?! Cars and racing and stuff like that are a really big deal to many people in this area and entire families dedicate their lives to it -literally. I still think most of the races are boring -especially the "enduro" ones because they go around and around and around forever and just make a whole lot of noise. It's kind of like scalloped corn: I don't like it, but I'm still very curious about it and will try it now and then because maybe I will like it THIS time (and it does smell good) and ultimately remember why I don't like it. Then the next time it's around, I'll forget the reason why and try it again. So the cycle continues. Scalloped corn is weird. Ever had it?? I NEVER did until I lived up here. It's like a casserole with corn, creamed corn, eggs, and saltine crackers. I don't know what makes it "scalloped"...maybe the creamed corn??

In fact, I used to call it "corn crap" when I used to work for Norman County East. They had it like once a week and I would say, "oh, this corn crap again??". That REALLY pissed off some of the lunch ladies!! Oh well! For a going away present when I quit there, the lunch workers gave me their recipe for "corn crap" a.k.a. scalloped corn...the recipe feeds 200 people. HAHA!!!

So, although I don't have the tv or radio to provide noise, I have my windows open on this nice evening and can listen to the whine, roar, and hum of race cars -while thinking of trying scalloped corn again just one more time to see if I like it yet.

:-)

No comments: