Monday, December 6, 2010

Oh Woe Is Me!!

A very disappointing thing happened to me this evening. I realized that it is ONLY MONDAY today!!! Today, for some crazy weird reason, I thought it was Wednesday -and that continued through the entire day, to an after work visit to Caribou coffee to answer some work emails I didn't get to today, and to grocery shopping. Cognitively I knew it was not Wednesday because I remembered to pick up a ton on Lunchables that were on sale at Hornies and that sale ends Tuesday. I even left work "on time" today at 4:30!!

So tonight I was washing the lettuce I bought, thinking to myself, "well, what should I bring for lunch tomorrow because I'll be at the middle school and won't probably have time to eat something I have to warm up...thank God for my Lunchables!"...and then I started to think, "wait a minute...it is only MONDAY today!!!!!!!!!!"

Then I was sad.

I think this is symptomatic of my crazy schedule at work. Some "signs" have been coming my way lately about needing to wrangle my schedule (news articles about streamlining work & ways to shut the world out while you get work done, different Facebook friends posting quotes about making work NOT a priority in life, getting a tiny lecture from the doctor last week about resting not working, etc, etc, etc). So therefore, I am going to be kinder to myself after the new year. Wednesday mornings and Friday mornings are MINE -my office time. I have to pull back on my availability to fill in for meetings. I have to NOT feel guilty about spending a day in my office rather than in one of my buildings and just DO that. I need one full day in my office a week because the snippets of time is not working out for me. If I wait until the end of the teachers' day (3:45 for High school, 2:45 for middle school) to do my office work then I am at work until after 7pm. That's just not healthy nor is it a good use of my time anyway because my brain is usually fried then anyway -and I spend more time reviewing and responding to emails from that day rather than get any of my projects worked on. I'm vastly behind on that stuff. I have 3 days between Christmas and New Years that I have to work (the rest are holidays because Christmas & New Years are on a weekend this year), so that means that I can have 3 WHOLE days in a ROW with only my stuff to do. I've got a HUGE list. I'd like to get at least 2 things completely finished from that list.

So yeah, woe IS me because it's only Monday. However, I think I COULD look at it positively and think, "wow!!! I have 2 more extra days this week!" -like finding an extra $20 bill in your purse (which NEVER happens to me!!) :( oh well.

Christmas isn't too far away. I am excited to go for drives and look at lights. Maybe I should do a little of that right now....nah, I'll stay in and read a book that has to go back to the library by the end of the week. See???? There!!! I have 2 more extra days now to read the book that must be returned on Saturday!

A silver lining in a stormy cloud. :)

No comments: