Friday, December 10, 2010

it's beginning to look a lot like....too much snow!

More snow is in the forecast this weekend-we aren't supposed to get a lot, but those south of us are. My problem with it is that the snow south of us has to drain into the Red River of the North and therefore threatens to flood the town I FINALLY live in after taking the "long way around" to get here. There were plenty of flood prevention projects in the works this summer -mostly building levees and flood plain buy-outs (the city/county/whatever buying the houses of people who live on the flood plain and who get flooded every year). I don't believe this community has decided on what kind of flood diversion project they were support...there are implications for each model being examined.

Anyway, I was just thinking the other evening while leaving work that it was SO cold!! Then, I thought, geez angela -this is just the beginning of cold so you'd better get used of it!! Blech. I hate cold. But I hate lotsa heat more I guess.

Let's see, what's new? Nothing much. I'm super tired and it isn't yet 10:00 so I'm thinking of going to bed now. If the weather is good I am going to Ada tomorrow afternoon for an evening of games and fun. If the weather is not, then I am staying put. I have a gazillion books from the library to read and my Hulu queue is packed full of tv episodes I haven't had time to watch yet. I also need to take naps and get some sleep in. :)

But enough about me. How are you, dear blog reader? It's the holidays...are you stressed out? Do you feel left out? Or do you feel like everything is on your shoulders? Or do you feel loved and surrounded by people you are happy are in your life? However you feel during this busy and hectic holiday season, I hope that you find peace and spend some time in quiet reflection by yourself. The new year starts in a few weeks and if you're in the habit of making new year's resolutions, now is the time to reflect and think about what you want to commit to. I don't do new year's resolutions -if I do, they are things like "I will give myself more time for quiet and processing" or something like that. Yes, I need to lose some weight, but I don't keep resolutions like that. I do keep resolutions (mostly) of taking care of myself emotionally. I have learned to excel at that -probably out of survival need when I was a kid.

But anyway...I wish you a good holiday season. I re-read "The Gift of the Magi" the other day again. If you do anything, read anything, reflect on anything during this Christmas season...do it on that. Google the title and you'll get the full text (it's a short -short- story) -and because it's OLD, copyrights have run out so it's available online many places for free. Careful when you read it though, because it's written in "old style" conversation-type writing. If possible, find a summary in today's colloquialisms and jargon -but please read the original text too -it does a fine job of setting tone, setting, background, etc. Whenever I read it, I feel like I am THERE, watching this unfold. ...and if you ever wanted to figure out "just what IS irony, anyway???", this story is pretty much the epitome of irony!!

Time to hit the hay. A sure sign of getting old is going to be earlier on a Friday night than a weeknight- and staying in rather than running around! :) Take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: