What a fantastic holiday this has been!!! Ok, so I still have a list a mile long waiting for me at work because I pretty much avoided that, I figure I'll do work during work hours when I'm at work. Gotta keep that balance, folks!!! I've been in Moorhead 6 months now and now it's time to put up some perimeters. I don't think I'll get my stuff finished before Monday...but that's ok. I'm not slacking off; I'm putting my life in order -which is first before work.
We have had two blizzards back to back from the 30th until today. The US highway out of town (US 10) was finally opened at 5 after being closed over 24 hrs and then 12 hours before a few hours before that. The interstate on the MN side going out of town is still closed (I94), but to the west of me it is open now. The north-south interstate (I29) is open too. However....just because these roads are open does not mean people should drive on them! We may not get a lot of snow sometimes in West central MN/Eastern ND, but what we get generally stays around, piling up and blowing around. It's not unusual to see some brown grass peeking out of a portion of snow with an 8 foot drift right next to it. Snow blows around here. That makes traveling difficult and not smart at times like this - visibility is near zero and the windchill factor is typically far below zero (like -20 to 40 below). Windchill is a guestimate measurement to express how cold it FEELS outside with wind whipping around -and it's damned dangerous. Many people have died or gotten frostbite and lost parts of their bodies due to windchill values. The wind here is COLD. It is a nasty, nasty bitch of a wind. I think total from Thursday morning until now (48-52 hours) we only received about a foot of snow, but that foot has been blowing around for 3 days creating HUGE and very hard drifts. When show blows around like this, it gets very hard -so hard in fact that huge snowplows have a hard time getting trough 3-4 foot drifts going at full speed.
So, needless to say, I've been home alone & couped up since Wednesday night! I took one venture out Friday afternoon between storms to pick up some Scotch & a few groceries (essentials for a snow storm, you know!!), but otherwise, I've been staying put here.
In that time, I've washed over 8 loads of laundry, made home made whole wheat noodles (excellent and so easy to make it's a crime!!!) to put into home made chicken veggetable soup, read 4 books, spent a liberal amount of time online, put away all of my Christmas stuff, repotted plants, dusted, slept a lot, and finally cleaned out my walk in closet & spare bureau drawers in my spare bedroom. I even scrubbed my kitchen floor!! All this while listening to the AM talk radio stations (surprising myself with my tolerance of the content...more on that later), the scanner, and my music obsession of the month (Danko Jones).
I still have to wrap all of my Christmas presents! I keep putting it off. Not sure why, but I am. It just seems like a pain in the ass. That, trying get my xmas stuff put up high on a shelf, vacuuming, and scrubbing the bathroom floor is all I have left to do.
This stormy weather was a gift. I needed to get a lot of this stuff done but never wanted to start because I never felt like I had time. Hooray for blizzards!!!
I was kinda sad though because I was supposed to go to Perham to Grandma Rotta's Christmas celebration. All of my relatives from the cities, fergus, and bemidji were able to get there, but since all of the roads were closed between here and Perham, I did not go. Didn't even try. :( I have never missed one of those. Oh well!! I sure am thankful for the time to get stuff done here though!!
2011 is here and it's gonna be a good year. It started off great. Cleaning out the old stuff, organizing the things to hang onto and taking care of what I've got is the modus operandi for 2011!!!!!!!!!! Plants grow well not only with plenty of nutrients (water, sun, plant food, good soil), but also with careful & targeted pruning. Gotta pinch off those old, whithered, and dead portions to give room for healthy growth. My New Year's Resolutions are gonna rock. Just wait & see.
Have a good one and thanks for tuning in!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment